While each Market Board member brings unique gifts and talents, all board members agree to a basic set of responsibilities to support healthy moms and strong babies. Leadership positions such as Market Board Chair, Board Chair-elect and Chairs of Growth, Mission Impact and Movement Standing Committees include additional obligations. See position descriptions for detailed information.
BOARD MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify and recruit corporate partners and develop new business relationships
- Support March of Dimes financially through a defined give and get market target. A range of $10, 000 – $25,000 is recommended and can vary depending on the market. Members can meet this requirement in many ways; market target is negotiated with volunteer leadership and staff.
- Make a personal gift annually; minimum of $1,000 is recommended; however, this amount may be even greater depending on the market.
- Hold staff and each other accountable to meet market business plan objectives
- Use the Standards of Excellence to benchmark board performance and measure progress
- Keep mission at the center of market activity and work collaboratively with fellow board members and staff to build partnerships, steward relationships and mobilize communities to address the urgent maternal and infant health crisis facing our country
- Support the mission by leading and/or serving on a market standing committee or sub committee
- Lead by example by inspiring others to take action in support of March of Dimes mission
- Build a pipeline of supporters through a number of meaningful engagement opportunities
- Recruit, welcome and engage other volunteer leaders through a formalized process of nomination, orientation, onboarding and recognition
- Register for Advocacy Action Center/respond as requested with contacts and/or calls to action
- Agree to board responsibilities through an Individual Engagement Plan